Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Scones (the utah kind)

My family has a bunch of great traditions that have been carried on from generation to generation. One of those is the making and eating of scones. These scones as you will see in the pictures to follow are NOT the english type which are baked and go well with coffee. These are tasty pillows of deep fried goodness and they go well with lots of other not-so-good for you food like butter and little smokies (or little weenies as Jake likes to say).


This is the homemade dough that my dad starts making the night before.

This is the transformation of the dough into the SCONE. I wish I had pictures of the teddy bear ones that my dad made for the kids. They loved them.


Dad at work in the kitchen. A familiar sight.

Cookin' up the li'l smokies.


The meal. This is how we eat our scones: Grab a hotter than hot scone. Put it on your styrofoam plate as fast as you can so that you don't burn your fingers. Lay down a slab of butter next to it on the plate. Pour some homemade maple syrup into a pyrex bowl. Serve up a few pieces of fruit and then a few li'l smokies. Tear off a piece of scone and dip it into the butter and then into the syrup. Then you can take a big bite of fried heaven. I know I know it is so unhealthy but we only eat these on a few holidays a year.

Claire Baby C. we love her so much! All of my kids flock to play with her.

Thank you Dad for carrying on such a fabulous tradition. Hopefully I can learn how to make the dough and carry on this tradition for a long time.

5 comments:

Anne said...

I was so sad to miss this. I wanted scones so badly that I even dreamt about them the night before Labor Day. Maybe we can adjust our Christmas traditions to include this one??

Thanks for including a picture of little CiCi (as I've decided to call her). I can't believe how big she's grown, and she has hair!!!! Oh, and Drew's tongue. :) What a cutie.

Marti said...

mmmmm....scones....

Jessie said...

My kids would die for those scones Amanda!
I love the quotes on the side bar too.....made me laugh!
Who is baby C? Is that Natalie and Drew's? She is so cute!

Andrea Sheets said...

I want that family tradition. How yummy! I'm glad we can connect on the computer, if not in real life. No, we'll see more of each other this year.
Andrea

Elizabeth said...

I thought you knew how to make this dough, because I swear I've had these at your house before. Maybe it was sometime when your dad was in town.

Just the pictures look good enough to eat. YUM!