Monday, October 4, 2010

Nationals

I just returned from my trip to Palm Springs for my tennis team's participation in the 2.5 Adult National Tennis Championships. For those of you who aren't familiar with how tennis league works, it is divided into levels based on ability. It starts at 2.5 and goes up to 5.0 the first being a beginner and the last being really good (like former collegiate players and sometimes former pros). They do this so that competition is fair and the matches are fun. So I am playing at the lowest possible level in the tennis world. At any rate, as I stated before my team was undefeated through our local league play, through our state tournament, and through our sectional tournament and ended up being able to go to this national tournament.

We didn't know what to expect going into it. We had friends that went to this tourney last year and faced some fierce competition. Honestly we went thinking that it would at least be a great girl's trip and we could play a little tennis. Well it turned out that the competition was fierce but we really held our own. We won our first three matches against San Diego, Michigan, and Arizona and then went into our last match against Arkansas tied with them. The winner of that match would decide who got to go to the finals. (In team tennis you have to win 2 of 3 individual matches for the team win.) My partner Lindie and I won our match in two sets and Macy lost her singles match. The last match to be decided was being played by Kris and Celeste. They split sets and went to a tie break and ended up losing 10-7. We fell short of moving on by three little points. At first I was sad and then realized that we did far better than I ever thought we would and I am so proud of how well we did.

Arkansas went on the win the championship (which was maddening because they were mean and they cheated) but I am consoled by the fact that Lindie and I actually beat the national champs. Not bad. All in all it was a fantastic weekend in Palm Springs with girlfriends. We laughed alot, sweated alot, and played alot of tennis. It was a great time!

Here is our "rockin" team photo:

Macy, Amanda, Celeste, Kris, Kim, Susie, Lindie, Tamara

4 comments:

Anne said...

Good job Mand.

Ryan@dontdodumbthings.com said...

Amanda, that is really awesome. Congrats on a huge success. It's good to see that you're the far more accomplished athlete than your husband.

Stephanie said...

Wow! Amanda, great job. I love that so many members of your family have been in national competitions this year. You make me want to take up tennis!

Steph Bruce said...

What can you expect from people from Arkansas? Haha!!! What to go, you ladies are awesome and deserve all your success!!